Choosing the Best Web CMS for Your Business:
WordPress vs. Wix vs. SquareSpace
Let’s talk about choosing the best Web CMS for your business!
A few terms defined:
- A web content management system (CMS) is a software application or set of related programs that are used to create and manage digital content.
- A website builder doesn’t require any special programming skills or other technical knowledge since they usually offer templates or themes that you can choose from. Website builders are suited for individuals, freelancers, photographers, small businesses and start-ups.
WordPress is an example of a web content management system that allows users to create custom or template designs and edit with ease long into the future. Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace are examples of website builders. So what’s the difference?
Wix is an all-in-one website template builder that’s ideal for beginners that are looking for an easy cost-effective option or don’t have access to a web developer.
This platform is simple to use because the drag-and-drop design lets you personalize your site with ease.
Wix offers themes that you can choose from and make minor adjustments to, but once you’ve hit publish, you’re stuck with the theme you’ve chosen.
- Easy to use
- Drag-and-drop system is great for beginners
- Can’t switch themes after publishing
- No opportunity for total customization
- Choice and Editing can feel overwhelming and time consuming
- Doesn’t search well in SEO/Search Engines
- Monthly fee to use
Squarespace has been an increasingly popular website template builder option because, like Wix, it offers an editable template.
Compared to Wix, Squarespace is a bit harder to use and is more time consuming but offers more modern, sleek designs.
- Better designed templates
- Popular in the creative industries
- No coding involved
- Difficult to use at first
- More time consuming than Wix
- No opportunity for total customization
- Expensive price plans
- Monthly fees
Overall, Squarespace wins when it comes to a minimalist template design but has a steeper learning curve that is time-consuming for busy business owners.
WordPress is the website marketing powerhouse. This web CMS is unique from Wix, and Squarespace because you have full access to own your website and content. The disadvantage to owning your site is that you need to decide how to build your home and maintain it.
Since WordPress is an open source CMS, you will either need to learn some code or partner with an experienced web designer and developer team to create a beautifully branded site.
- Unlimited customization and complete freedom
- Marketing powerhouse for SEO (it ranks in the search engines very well)
- Cost of WordPress: Free
- No ongoing fees
- Once you create the website – it’s yours and you don’t have to pay a monthly fee for standard WordPress functionality
- Access to all kinds of third-party plugins that can make your site more powerful and create a better digital experience
- If you’ve opted to work with a company, your site can be made very easy for you to maintain (edit text, photos, add portfolio galleries, etc.)
- Requires some coding knowledge or access to a web developer
Overall, WordPress lets you customize your site with complete freedom. It’s a self-hosted software, which means you have unlimited coding capabilities. Although you will need to find, pay for, and set-up your web hosting, this decision can save you a lot of money in the long run because you won’t have to pay a large monthly fee like Wix or SquareSpace.
There are several things to consider when choosing the right platform for your business’s website.
Although template builders are easy to use, when choosing the best web CMS for your business, we recommend using WordPress. It is the clear choice because it is completely custom. The idea is to stand out from your competitors, right? The way to separate yourself from the competition is through customization and sharing your unique brand story! With WordPress, you can showcase your brand elements in unique ways throughout your site and create a client experience that is exclusive to your luxury brand. By creating a custom experience with your brand you are communicating a clear and strategic brand promise to your future clients and building likeability and trust.
Interested in a complimentary consultation to learn more about getting a custom website design and WordPress build for your business? Let’s chat!